Monday, February 11, 2013

Savin' Me

I tried two of my slow cooker freezer meals this past week, and they truly saved me!

I came down with strep throat, and normally under these circumstances, it would've been fast food to the rescue for the family.  But since I had taken "Beef Tips and Gravy" out of the freezer to defrost Sunday night, all my sick body had to do on Monday was throw it in the crock-pot.  Later, I made some instant rice in the microwave and warmed up some canned green beans, and the family had a warm, wholesome dinner as I staggered back off to the bedroom.

The Beef Tips & Gravy was a huge hit with everyone, especially Ron.  And it is super simple:
3 lbs. beef tips or cubed stew meat
2 pkgs dry onion soup mix
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans beef broth

Divide among 2 freezer bags.
Mix together.
Freeze.
Defrost 24 hours prior to cooking.
Cook on low in crock-pot 6-8 hours.
Serve with rice.

We got  2 dinners out of one freezer bag.


And while I was still recuperating, I took another meal, "Ranch Pork Chops," out of the freezer to defrost and made it on Wednesday:
3 lbs pork chops
2 Ranch dressing mix
2 cream of chicken soup

Divide among 2 freezer bags.
Mix together.
Freeze.
Defrost 24 hours prior to cooking.
Cook on low 4-6 hours in crock-pot.
Serve with mashed potatoes. 

This one was okay.  I will acknowledge that I didn't have the best cuts of pork chops, so that might have affected our overall impression.  I'm actually having to cut up the rest of the chops and find some type of casserole to use the meat in to finish it up.  But overall, it wasn't bad, but it just didn't taste as great as I had expected.

I'm cycling back to another chicken recipe this week, so I'll let you know how it goes with a later blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment