Tuesday, February 5, 2013

As Frankie says, "Relax!"

It's both funny and refreshing to observe and reflect on the attitudes of children when it comes to social expectations.

For instance, I know kids go through phases where they don't like to wear clothing, but James David seems to really embrace his nakedness.  He will beg, scream, plead, stomp his feet until I agree to help him out of his clothing.  The other day when I asked him why he wanted to wear no clothes, his response was, "Why not?"

Later, when trying to coerce him to wear pajamas, even pulling out all the stops--his favorite Spiderman PJs--he said, "No Spiderman.  I wear my baby body!" as he rubbed his hands up and down over his chest.

I have a difficult time getting him to wear clothing outside of the home, and it's beginning to wear off on Jacob.  For example, neither was interested in wearing clothing to go out in the snow this past Saturday, but they both were quite aware of needing hats and mittens.

What makes this "situation" even more laughable is although James David does not wear any clothing, he usually still wears his cowboy boots.  He adamantly refuses to take those off.  I can envision him taking over the role of the Naked Cowboy in New York one day.  Boy, will we be proud parents!

But maybe we should all be a little more like James David.  I'm not advocating becoming a nudist, by any means, but most of us, myself included, could be a little more comfortable in our own skin. 

Somewhere along the line, we start to worry about what others think.  And maybe some degree of that is okay and healthy.  I mean, after all, it's just good health practice and common courtesy to brush your teeth, right?  But for those of you who really know me and my OCD personality, well, I can take it to extremes, not just when it comes to me, but also when it comes to my children and my home.  (I've learned by this point that Ron is an entity unto himself; while he does seek my feedback, I have no control over him, and I'm at peace with that--I think.)

I don't want to be seen as the slob housekeeper, the unkempt wife, or the parent with the stinky kid.  My sister has laughed at these concerns, and you may too, but I've been caught with my proverbial "pants down" on several occasions, and I have confirmation that those thoughts registered in the minds of those who have witnessed such occasions.

Ultimately, I know there's a fine line between being respectful, appreciative, and courteous (which I am a strong advocate of) and going overboard into the counter-productive abyss of "what others think."  

For those of you who have found this balance, I both admire and envy you!  But just so you know--because I don't want you to think poorly of me!--I'm working on it!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment