Friday, February 1, 2013

Freeze Frame




So once I determined I was going to try this slow cooker freezer technique, I then set out to find recipes for slow cooker freezer meals.  Searching both on Pinterest and online, I found various recipes, but I noticed most of them were repetitive, and I questioned the taste quality of some.  I then concluded that as long as the ingredients were freeze-able, any slow cooker recipe should be viable.  I stayed away from recipes with ingredients like sour cream and potatoes as I just wasn't sure how those items would freeze.  After several afternoons, I came up with a meat varied menu:
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
Teriyaki Chicken
Chicken Cacciatore
Ranch Pork Chops
Italian Pork Chops
Honeyed Pork BBQ
Cuban Braised Beef & Peppers
Beef Tips & Gravy
Mongolian Beef
While there's probably an app or some program that can do this more effectively, I created a grocery list of all my needs using a spreadsheet.  The list will be quite extensive; each recipe has been adjusted to make two freezer meals (for a total of 18 meals).  And it's a good idea to look for meats on sale.  (I ended up using varietal pork chops rather than the loins I prefer; I will plan better next time.)  Don't forget gallon sized freezer bags!

Several pinners and bloggers commented that it took them only around an hour to prepare their freezer meals.  It took me 3 hours.  However, there were a few things I think affected this time: 1.  my kids were awake and running wild in the kitchen with me, 2.  I also prepared chicken and dumplings while completing this process, 3.  I chose a couple of recipes that were a bit more complex than others, and 4.  I washed, peeled, and chopped my carrots rather than using the prepared ones (I just don't think they taste as good).

Prior to beginning the process, I used a sharpie to write the name of the meal and cooking time on the freezer bag.  I then placed a laminated copy of the recipe beside the bag for easy reference.  And, most importantly, I cleared out a shelf in my freezer to accommodate the meals.  However, a note of caution:  the meals took up more room than I had anticipated--actually requiring two shelves.

I then started the process, beginning with cutting up the vegetables and then assigning them to their appropriate freezer bags.  I then added any required spices, sauces, etc, concluding with the meat.  Carefully squeeze as much air out as possible, lay flat, and freeze.  Remove from freezer to defrost 24 hours prior to cooking in the slow cooker.

I tried my first slow cooker freezer meal this past Monday night.
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
3 pounds chicken breasts
32 oz frozen broccoli florets
4 16 oz jars Alfredo sauce (light if desired)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 4 oz cans sliced mushrooms, drained

Divide among 2 freezer bags.
Mix together.
Freeze; defrost 24 hours prior to cooking.
Cook on low 4-6 hours.
Serve with fettuccine noodles.

It could use some salt and pepper, but that's easy to add/adjust based on taste.  Overall, this is a good meal, and everyone (except Trey) has enjoyed it.  I predict we'll get 2-3 dinners out of it or 2 dinners and lunch.  I will definitely make this one again.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds good, I am going to try it! I have a whole list of freezer meals at home. I'll be sure to get them to you. They are not slow cook meals, but they all take less than 30 min to cook :) Lasagna is also very good in the slow cooker and you can prepare your meat and sauce ahead of time. Looking forward to seeing more recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several people have asked if these are frozen raw or cooked. They are assembled and frozen RAW. They are then cooked once you defrost them and put them in the crock-pot. So there's no cooking involved--unless you count crock-potting cooking! :)
    By the way, be sure to check out my "older posts" too!
    And I'd love to hear your comments/suggestions!

    ReplyDelete